Milan Linate Airport (MXP)
History, Facts and Overview
Linate Airport was created in the mid-thirties and was built to replace the already existing southerly Taliedo Airport, which dates back as far as 1910. However, the extremely historic Taliedo Airport had become too small to cope with the increasing demands of commercial traffic and so the arrival of Milan Linate Airport (MXP) soon caused its closure. Linate has been modernised a number of times over the years, with the most significant improvements made during the fifties and the eighties.
Facilities at Milan Linate Airport are comprehensive and passengers can expect to find a VAT refund and currency exchange desk, where you can quickly obtain Euros, and several ATMs, operated by both the Banca Popolare Italiana and also Deutsche Bank.
Also onsite is a post office complete with telegram service, a welcome desk and a chapel offering regular Roman Catholic services.
Linate Airport has a lot of similarities with a small town and features plenty of public areas for visitors, and distractions for Milan passengers with time on their hands. In total there are over 40 different shops and eateries onsite, such as the Acafe, Autogrill and Gran Café. Popular airport stores include the Air Shop (clothing), Dufry (swimwear and perfumes), Edicola and Itineris (newspapers), Farmacia (pharmacy), Janeke (Milan gifts and trinkets), Moreschi (shoes) and Otticaspesi (sunglasses).